October 6, 2021

IGNITE DAVIE Launches Inve$t in our Kids Capital Campaign!

The signs tell the story. Gildan is hiring, Comfort Built is hiring, Ashley Furniture is hiring… and the list goes on.  Over the past several years, business and industry have struggled to find a skilled workforce to meet their needs. The 2020 pandemic only worsened the challenges, and the lack of skilled workers to fill open positions is even greater today. Estimates for residents 25-years-old and older in 2019 showed that 42.2% have a high school diploma or less and 21.3% have some college but no degree. In total, 63.5% do not have an Associate or higher degree. We can […]
September 20, 2021

IGNITE DAVIE Student Profile: Nathan Andrews

Nathan Andrews wants to be a law enforcement officer.  The 2020 Davie High graduate is pursuing an Associates’s degree in criminal justice at Davidson-Davie Community College and plans to complete the college’s Basic Law Enforcement Training program as soon as he meets the age requirement.  Thanks to IGNITE DAVIE, Andrews will be able to complete his Associate’s degree free of charge.  IGNITE DAVIE is a college promise program that pays tuition and fees with a stipend for books for graduates to attend Davidson-Davie Community College full time in a certificate, diploma, or associate/transfer program at either campus. IGNITE DAVIE is […]
August 30, 2021
Logan Ballou-Tomel works full-time at Lowe’s Home Improvement in Mocksville while studying to become a surgical technologist

IGNITE DAVIE Student Profile: Logan Ballou-Tomel

Logan Ballou-Tomel wants to be a surgical technologist.  He spent this summer studying and learning as much as possible about the procedures, tools, conduct, and other aspects of surgical technology before beginning the program at Davidson-Davie Community College this fall.  Thanks to IGNITE DAVIE, the 2020 Davie High graduate was able to complete his general education classes and will complete the first four semesters of the five-semester certification program free of charge. “When Sandra Porter and others from the college came to Davie and told us about the IGNITE DAVIE program, I knew that it was a great opportunity and […]
August 23, 2021

IGNITE DAVIE Student Highlight: Austin Cook

Austin Cook wants to be an anesthesiologist.  It typically takes 12-14 years to become a licensed anesthesiologist: four years of undergraduate study, four years of medical school, and four years of residency, followed by one year in a fellowship program or two years in private practice. Thanks to IGNITE DAVIE and taking NC Career and College Promise dual enrollment classes at Davie County High School, the 2020 graduate just earned his Associates of Science Degree at Davidson-Davie Community College in only one year — free of charge.  “It’s going to be a long journey, so having those first two years […]
April 8, 2021
Cassidy Kluttz and her family celebrate her 2020 graduation from Davie High

First IGNITE DAVIE College Promise Scholarship Recipient Graduates

Cassidy Kluttz has earned an Associate of Arts degree totally debt free, an impressive accomplishment made possible through IGNITE DAVIE College Promise and North Carolina’s Career & College Promise program. It’s a route she would enthusiastically recommend to other Davie County students. “IGNITE DAVIE has given me the freedom to explore what I want to do and where I want to go with my life without having to worry about money.” IGNITE DAVIE is a place-based last-dollar scholarship; which means students must live in and attend school in Davie County.  All eligible high school graduates, regardless of financial need or […]